Pages

June 17, 2010

Tweet Power!!

twitter logoI’ve been living under a rock lately — first I missed Nate Day organized by the Moggit Girls, and then I almost missed the Ottawa TweetUp last night. Luckily I crawled out from under the rock just in time to attend!!

Custom Home Interiors hosted the TweetUp, and there was a great turnout — Kimberley Seldon and her daughter Raleigh were there, Mart Taggart (editor of Ottawa At Home magazine), a bunch of local bloggers (dh designs, girlaboutOtown, Lisa Goulet Design, M2JL :: Studio, Moggit Girls, Sonya Kinkade Design), and many other talented Ottawa-area peeps. We mixed and mingled and ate snacks and drank wine and there was lots of chatting and laughter. I’ve never seen so many iPhones and Blackberrys in one place!!

tweetup

Kimberley gave us some examples of how using Twitter has helped her business, and she shared these Twitter Tips:

  • 30% of your tweets should be about you and give some insight into who you are. Let people get to know the real you.
  • 30% of your tweets should be about your business (assuming you have a business you want to promote).
  • 30% of your tweets should be thanking people who mention you in their tweets. Share the love!!

I have no idea what to do with the remaining 10% of your tweets, but I’m sure you can figure out something :-)

And here’s something I just learned in the last couple of days that Kimberley explained last night. If you add a hash mark # to the front of a word (for example, #ottawatweetup), the word becomes a searchable link. When someone does a Twitter search for #ottawatweetup, it’ll bring up every tweet that includes #ottawatweetup. You probably already know this, but as I said at the beginning of this post, I just crawled out from under my rock so it’s news to me!!

If you want to hook up on Twitter, I’m @JAXDD. Tweet me!!

sig purple

I can help you make your home be what you want it to be. You can reach me at kelly@jaxdecor.ca or 613.291.2491

14 comments:

Greet said...

Hi Kelly and Victoria,
It is a long time ago since I visited your blog ( and a lot of others)! Sorry for that because I am so busy the last weeks! But I always love to read your posts!
I am not twittering yet! I don't know how I should manage this with all the work I have! Sometimes blogging can be overwhelming!
But maybe there will be a day that I will be twittering!
Thanks for the tips here! I will keep them just in case!
xx
Greet

Sonya Kinkade said...

Hey a great time at the tweet Up. Great post!

Petra Voegtle said...

Kelly, the idea is certainly great BUT it takes an awful lot of time. I must admit I hardly visit Facebook any more not to speak of twitter. If you do not stay there each and every day it is completely useless. Dropping in once in a while is also useless. I really do not understand where people take the time from to be an active participant in all those social entertainigs. I cannot - definitely not - I hardly get my blogs "serviced" besides my regular art work and not to forget my sick pigeons...
Geez - the day has only 24 hours!!!! Although I get up quite early the days are just running off...

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Sounds like a fun time and some good info was shared. I didn't know the Moggitgirls were from Ottawa. I don't tweet yet but have an account (and very cool followers like Margot Austin and Erin McLaughlin) - almost makes me want to tweet. As Greet said, keeping up a blog can be time consuming, so adding tweets is just one more thing.
"See" you at the tweet and blog webinars next week!

Donna @ dh designs said...

Great time last night - so cool to meet the faces behind the tweets!

Lisa said...

Great Post Kelly! It was so much fun I hope it happens again....

Christy said...

If I were a twitterer I would befriend you in a hearbeat, alas, I live under a rock and can't be bothered to figure Twitter out. But I take your word for it that's it's worth it and awesome! Fun that you met up with so many bloggers - what a great idea!

Deepali Kalia Interior Design Blog Filling Spaces said...

Very informational ...thanks for your sweet comment,i am having a giveaway please sign it will mean a lot,
I am following your blog for inspiration:)
http://fillinspaces.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-1st-giveaway.html#comments

Steph said...

Thanks for the tips!
We have a Twitter account, but I'm going to be honest here....I feel totally behind on this whole Twitter thing. I feel a little lost and like I'm missing something.

Marcus Design said...

Wow, this really sounds like it was a fabulous time and thank you for sharing the 30% rule with all of us! It's really amazing how much I am learning about the power of twitter!
Nancy

Emma said...

I'm still trying to get my head around twitter! It's a whole new language and set of rules and I always feel like I'm doing or saying the wrong thing!

girlaboutOtown said...

Thanks for the shout out! It was a Tweetally fun event. :) Cheers!

unique unique design said...

Oh, to be able to tweet. And, to just understand what tweeting is!!
:( I'm from the age of rotary dial phones that stayed where they were put, and chances are when you picked up the phone you'd be listening to someone on your party line! My granddaughter says, "Mops, the only time you seem like a grandma is when you're trying to figure out facebook!" In other words, she has to answer my dumb questions. So, Kelly, I would tweet you, but I have NO idea what to do with those letters!!! :(
marcie

Diane Schuller said...

good luck with the tweeting Kelly!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.